During ongoing lockdowns due to COVID-19, with more people at home it is an important time to make sure you are looking after your septic tank!
We’ve put together a few tips on how to care for your tank and help it cope with the extra loading;
- Spread your washing days out during the week; this in effect will help reduce the water load on the septic tank.
- If your septic tank is fitted with an outlet filter, now is a good time to give this a clean, as this will help with water flow to the drainage field.
- The tank is NOT a bin. Do not flush wipes down the toilet, they DO NOT break down and will overload the system, often leading to problems with blocked drains and overloading the tank.
- Any fats or oils shouldn’t go down the sink as it leads to blockages in your drains. If you are washing dishes that have fats or oils on them we recommend to run hot water afterwards to flush it through the pipework system.
- Not using excessive amounts of hard detergent or disinfectant as this kills the bacteria, without bacteria there is no natural breakdown of waste in the tank and this will lead to strong smells and large sludge build up.
Some warning signs that your septic tank may be due for a clean out are:
- Strong odours coming from the tank area or up the sinks
- If your toilets are backing up or are slow to drain when flushed
- Gurgling noises coming from your drains – this indicates that the drains and tank are full.
- Puddles forming around the tank area.
Call CST Group Today